Happy New Year everyone!! I am sure we all have many expectations for this year. Over the last 3 days, I have been asked countless times what my resolutions for the year are. Others asked what my goals are for the year.
I think that it is of paramount importance to understand the difference between the two. A resolution in my view is a permanent decision that brings change in my life and it is something that I will have to do daily. A goal, on the other hand, has a specific achievement, once that is met I don’t have to necessarily keep at it. There are a few things I have learned over the years. My mentor once taught me to ask a few questions that will constantly keep me in check. You may be setting resolutions or goals this year, you may have already done that I just want to share with you a few nuggets that may help you.
- How healthy is your mind?
I strongly believe that one’s mind is powerful and everything you do stems from the thoughts that you entertain.
Is your mind in a healthy place to make permanent decisions or you need some time to detox and then begin to make decisions that will allow you to grow and are not influenced by your current situations.
“Don’t make permanent decisions based on temporary situations”
If you are struggling with negative thoughts, I will be posting a video on this subject this month end so please keep checking for when it comes out.
- Ask yourself these important questions
What is my goal/resolution?
This question allows you to specify exactly what it is that you are aiming for.
Why is that my goal/resolution?
- What is the reason for that specific goal/resolution
How will I achieve it?
- What are you going to do to ensure that you achieve this goal? If its good grades are you prepared to study and put in extra time. If it is a business are you going to invest more or network? If its personal growth will you be investing in books? surround yourself with people that can build you up?
Who will I be accountable to?
- Everyone needs someone they can be accountable to. These people ensure that you succeed and reach your full potential. They may not always agree with you but they will always tell you the truth because they want you to succeed. It will be a good idea to have a mentor.
I hope you find this useful as you begin the year. I would love to hear how you are doing☺